Customized WordPress Websites and Blogs for Private Practitioners, Solo Professionals and Small Businesses
A modern and well-designed website becomes an asset that helps accomplish your business goals. Each website will be professionally designed to meet your unique needs. The resulting website will speak directly to your site visitor and represent your business well.
Your website is the online face of your business. To be successful, it must make a favorable first impression and provide a satisfying experience for your site visitors.
- A responsive, mobile-friendly design ensures that your website visitors can access your website from any device.
- Simple and intuitive navigation makes it easy for people to quickly locate what they need.
- Design elements remain consistent throughout the site to create a unified environment that helps build trust.
- Content is styled and presented in a way that promotes readability and creates a comfortable ambiance.
- Contact information is prominently displayed and located where people expect to find it.
A clean, professional website design will stand the test of time and can grow with your business. It will maintain the right balance between simplicity and functionality to enhance usability and productivity for both you and your site visitors.
“I decided to work with Sylvia Tooker on the advice of a colleague whose website she had developed. The colleague recommended her highly and I can second that recommendation heartily! She is conscientious, makes tactful suggestions and generally knows all the ropes in putting up a first class website.”
I use the WordPress content management system (CMS) to create websites and blogs. WordPress and quality themes use a lean code structure that is good for accessibility and SEO.
If you are the do-it-yourself type, WordPress makes it fairly easy to update content and publish blog posts yourself!
Your WordPress website may include, but will not be limited to, features such as:
- A customized premium WordPress theme for a high quality, attractive and modern appearance.
- Mobile-responsive design that automatically adjusts to different screen sizes.
- Easy site navigation.
- A blog.
- Design graphics and image optimization.
- Contact forms and mailing list subscribe forms.
- Social media follow and share buttons.
- Audio and video players.
- Password protected pages.
- Security and malware protection.
The possibilities are nearly endless!
I can also help you with:
- Domain name registration.
- Signing up for web hosting.
- Setting up email addresses on your web server.
For enhancements to your online presence, see my Web Extras and Consulting Services.
Why is WordPress my choice of platform for developing websites?
Of the several website coding methods and platforms available, I chose WordPress because of it’s flexibility, affordable cost (WordPress, itself, is free), built-in mobile-responsiveness, and the thousands of themes and plugins available to serve almost any requirement a website owner might have for their website or blog.
A WordPress website has the following advantages:
- Versatile themes and features that can be adjusted as your business evolves.
- The ability to add and edit content yourself.
- Reliable performance on desktop computers, laptops, tablets and phones.
- Code that meets basic search engine optimization (SEO) requirements.
- The software is updated continually so it always meets current web coding standards for optimal performance. Search engines like clean code and a well-functioning website, too.
Since it was first released as a simple blogging platform in 2003, WordPress is now a full-fledged website publishing platform powering 34% of the web. It is used by tens of millions of businesses and individuals such as BBC America, Sony Music, Walt Disney Company, Boston Market, the Rolling Stones, Katy Perry and William Shatner. Learn more at wordpress.org.
Frequently Asked Questions About Web Design
Q: How long does it take to build a website?
A: Generally speaking, creating a basic informational website with four to ten pages takes 6-8 weeks.
Your project may take less or more time based on a variety of factors:
- The size and complexity of your website.
- How soon I receive the final versions of your text, images and other content ready for publishing.
- My schedule and availability.
- Your schedule and availability.
Q: How much does a WordPress website cost?
A: Costs vary depending on the site’s size and features. Just like a house, a website can be small or large, basic or complex, minimalist or fancy. A typical small business website that I design and build costs between $1200.00 and $3000.00. When we talk during your free initial consultation, we will discuss your specific requirements so I can give you an estimated quote for your project.
(This section includes affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using the link. Learn more…)
- Domain Name
You will need a unique domain name to serve as the address (URL) of your website. If you don’t already have a domain name, you will need to register one with a domain name registrar such as Namecheap or GoDaddy. Pricing for a domain name can be as little as $12.00 or $15.00 per year, depending on the registrar you choose.
- Web Hosting
You will need the services of a web hosting company to store and display your website. Hosting fees usually run around $10.00 or $20.00 per month. I can help you find the right web hosting company and hosting plan for your website. One hosting company that I currently recommend is SiteGround.
Getting started with your first website can seem like a large expense, but remember that it is an extension of your business — your front office in the online world. I am happy to find ways to work within your budget requirements.
Q: If I have a graphic designer create the web design concept, can you build the website based on that design?
A: Certainly. Several of my clients have brought web design proofs to me from the graphic designer who created the logo, business cards and other branding concepts for their business.
Q: Will you help me if I want to build part of the website myself?
A: Yes, if you are using WordPress.
If you are the do-it-yourself type, then go for it! If things aren’t turning out the way you planned or you run into something that you can’t figure out how to do yourself, I’ll be happy to provide assistance.
Or, I can design the website, install and customize the theme and plugins, create the home page and a few basic pages, and then turn it over to you to create additional pages.
Q: Will you be available after the website goes live?
A: Yes. Providing ongoing support to my clients is an important part of my business. Once your new website is finished, I can assist with updates and maintenance or provide guidance with additional features that can help grow your business online.