Based in Dallas, Texas, I am a one-person shop providing virtual WordPress web design services to small businesses, solo professionals, and private practitioners nationwide. After spending a couple of years learning web design and working for another design firm, I officially went out on my own and launched Bear Data Services in 1998.
Why I Design Websites for Small Businesses
As a solo professional myself, working one-on-one with small business owners makes communication easier, resulting in a more personalized service for my clients. Having worked for small businesses in administrative and office management positions, designing websites for them is a natural fit for my detail-oriented skills and experience.
My Business Goals
I am committed to providing web design services that are:
- Customized to meet your goals
- Responsive to your needs
How It All Began
I designed my first website in 1996 when my handwriting analysis teacher, aware that I was also studying computer programming at the time, asked if I could figure out how to help him build a website to sell his books and courses on the newly expanding Internet. Intrigued by his ideas, I found resources from which I taught myself to code HTML. What began as a fun website design experiment turned into an exciting new career!
Online and web design technologies are constantly changing, so upgrading my skills is a necessity. I attend in-person and online classes and workshops. I am a member of local and online web design groups, including:
- Dallas/Fort Worth WordPress Meetup
- Dallas Interactive Marketing & Internet SEO/SEM Meetup
- Genesis WordPress Facebook Group
- Intermediate WordPress Facebook Group
I follow industry-related experts, companies, and colleagues on social media, and subscribe to numerous blogs and newsletters to stay current on web design news.
In the Media
I was honored to be one of 50 women business owners interviewed by Caitlin Friedman for her book, The Girl’s Guide to Starting Your Own Business (Revised Edition): Candid Advice, Frank Talk, and True Stories for the Successful Entrepreneur.
An excerpt from the book:
“When it comes to directly marketing your web site, Sylvia Tooker, owner of Bear Data Services, an Internet consulting and design business, advises entrepreneurs to, ‘ask yourself, what are my customers’ interests? What are they searching for online?'”
A Few Random Facts About Me:
- I am an INTJ (Introvert / Intuitive / Thinker / Judge) — “The Mastermind” — according to the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. That makes me quite rare (or strange, according to some who know me!) because women with this personality type make up only 0.8% of the population.
- My purse must be large enough to carry a book or my iPad — or both.
- I do not like to cook.
- I am a certified handwriting analyst.
- In my much younger days, I danced competitively as a member of the Dallas Push Club. (Dallas Push is a swing dance.)
- I started collecting souvenir spoons when my grandmother gave me part of her collection, including one of the first she collected that is now nearly 100 years old.